A dental restoration or dental filling is a dental restorative material used to restore the function, integrity and morphology of missing tooth structure.
The structural loss typically results from caries or external trauma.
What are Dental composites?
Dental composites are also called white fillings. Dental composite resins (better referred to as "resin-based composites" or simply "filled resins") are types of synthetic resins that are used in dentistry as restorative material or adhesives.
Dental composite resins have certain properties that will benefit patients according to the patient's cavity. It has a micro-mechanic property that makes composite more effective for filling small cavities where amalgam fillings are not as effective and could therefore fall out (due to the macro-mechanic property of amalgam). Read more about compsites on Wikipedia.
Many people still have silver/mercury fillings in their mouths from years past. These fillings are not particularly pleasing to the eye, since amalgam is NOT the most commonly used filling material in use these days.
Advantages of Tooth-Colored Restorations
There are many advantages to tooth-colored restorations.
- Composite resigns are bonded to the teeth creating a tight, superior fit to the natural tooth.
- Chemically bonded restorations remains intact longer, are much stronger and provide a pleasing look.
- Since the resin used in tooth-colored restorations contain fluoride this can help prevent decay.
- The resin wears like natural teeth and does not require placement at the gum line, which is healthier for your gums!
Disadvantages Of Silver Fillings
Silver fillings has some limitations.
- The edges of the silver filling can wear down, become weak or break.This results in the tooth not being protected and creates an environment where cavities get started once again.
- With age, the metal of a silver filling expands, contracts, and can split. Along with the expansion and contractions, it is very common for metal fillings to develop micro-fractures that cause small leakages that cause the growth of decay underneath the filling; further weakening the tooth structure.
- Silver fillings contain 50 percent mercury.
- They can corrode, leak, and cause stains on your teeth and gums.
Read more about amalgam fillings on Wikipedia.
Fortunately, silver fillings can safely be replaced with tooth-colored restorations.
Honest, Gentle, Pain Free Dentist in Hackensack NJ.
For appointment's please call 201 778 0225
Toothache Saddle Brook NJ - Root Canal Bogota NJ - Cosmetic Dentist Rutherford NJ - Toothache Mahwah NJ - Emergency Dentist Bergenfield NJ
Denture Hasbrouck Heights NJ | Bridge Hackensack NJ